Grieving kids often feel alone. They think no one understands what they are going through, including GOD. There is tape that runs over and over in a grieving child’s heart that says, God doesn’t love me, God isn’t nice, God doesn’t care, my life is ruined. I’ll never be happy.
Let’s interrupt those lies with the truth of God’s word.
The Bible explains the importance of God’s words being passed on to children, from one generation of children to the next generation of children. In Psalm 78, the reason given for God’s words to be passed on to children is so that the children “may set their hope in God, and not forget the works of God.”
Deuteronomy 6:6-9 reads, “And these words which I command you today shall be in your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, when you walk by the way when you lie down, and when you rise up.”
There should be a continuous overflow of God’s Words on our mouths, speaking them over our children, and helping them to hide these truths in their heart. Children CAN memorize Scripture. And the best way for them to memorize is in interaction with an adult.
In Luke 8, the parable of the sower teaches us the importance of getting the Word into the heart. The seed is the Word of God. It’s sown in the heart. And those who keep it (in Greek, kat-ekh-o, meaning to keep in memory, hold fast to, seize, retain it) will “bear fruit with patience.” (Luke 8:15)
Here are 8 verses you can sow into the heart of your grieving child:
1. I am always with you. Psalm 73:23, NIV
2. God will wipe away every tear. Revelation 21:4, NKJV
3. I am the Lord your God. I am holding your right hand. Isaiah 41:13, ICB
4. You will feel safe because there is hope. Job 11:18, ICB
5. He heals the brokenhearted. Psalm 147:3, NKJV
6. The last enemy to be destroyed is death. 1 Corinthians 15:26, ESV
7. God will yet fill your mouth with laughter. Job 8:21, ICB
8. The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid. Hebrews 13:6, NIV
. . .
Here's a resource to help you and your child memorize God's Word: 30 Bible Verse Coloring Pages for a Grieving Child.